ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Worried about a scam with Academia Linguistica Internacional

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL in Western Europe
View previous topic :: View next topic  
acj

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:21 pm    Post subject: Worried about a scam with Academia Linguistica Internacional Reply with quote

Hi all,
I have been offered a job with Academia Linguistica Internacional in Rieti that I applied for through this website. Does anyone have any information about this school? I had a skype chat interview, and received a contract with them but have not spoken to anyone in person. I called the number on the website which is not Academia Linguistica Internacional but Linguapiu.it, and they had no idea what I was talking about. When I mentioned this to my contact person on skype they said I had to contact the recruitment agency or on skype because the staff does not do the hiring but rather the recruitment. They also said that once I sign the contract they would send me the number of the director. They offer reimbursement of flight and paid housing, the job starts in about 10 days. I really want to work in Italy but am getting paranoid about this offer. Please help! Thanks for any comments or concerns.
unionjack
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:11 pm    Post subject: VISA Reply with quote

Hello Acj

How are you able to work in Italy? I note that you are from Canada and therefore, you will require a work permit, unless you already have a European passport.

In the meantime, I will check out this company for you.

UJ
unionjack
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:16 pm    Post subject: SCAM Reply with quote

Hello Acj

I am awaiting confirmation of my findings..

Nevertheless, I would say it is a scam, as there are several clues in the advertisement.

They are using a genuine company name Academia Linguistica Internacional http://www.aliacademia.it/it/contatti.php and a different address belonging to another genuine school, Sciole di Lingue at via delle Orchidee 9 Rieti 02100 http://www.linguapiu.it/ but they are using their own telephone number.

Another clue is that the email address they used linguapiu@gmx.com did not match up with either of the websites addresses, which were info@aliacademia.it and simarte@libero.it

The advertisers telephone code is in Rome. ALI is in Barletta and Sciole di Lingue is in Rieti. So that's a right mix up.

I should have it confirmed by Monday, whether it is genuine or not!

UJ

Last edited by unionjack on Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:59 am; edited 1 time in total
unionjack
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:18 am    Post subject: SCAM Reply with quote

Hello Acj

I received an email from Academia Linguistica Internacional this morning and they know nothing of this advertisement.

It is a scam and therefore, we have deleted the advertisement.

Thanks for the heads up.

UJ

Last edited by unionjack on Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
acj

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for looking into this issue. I was just skyping with linguapiurecruitment and asked them why they have Academia Linguistica Internacional as the name but Linguapiu as the website. They replied that they sometimes share teachers between them. I told them ALI doesn't know about this posting and they "reassured" me that someone will call me on Monday assuring me it is not a scam and that the school is legit and they will do anything to prove it to me.
I do have an EU passport so can work in EU as is my preferenceand the job wage is 1800 Euros, paid flight and housing. From other postings on this forum, am I right to think that this is too good to be true for a European job, plus it being my first real full-time teaching job???
I sure am happy I didn't buy a plane ticket, though they haven't asked me for any money.
I got another job offer for the EPIK program in Korea and at least I know EPIK is government affiliated.
Thanks again for checking into this job for me. I greatly appreciate the comments and other postings of this forum.
unionjack
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:09 pm    Post subject: EMAIL Reply with quote

Hello Acj

This is a copy of the email received from Academia Linguistica Internacional.

On Sat, Mar 5, 2011 at 5:43 AM, Academia Linguistica Internacional <info> wrote:

Dear Sirs,

We havenít placed any advertisement and we do not know anything about it, please investigate as it has nothing to do with us. Weíve been contacted by several candidates already but itís not ours. Sorry

Best wishes

ALI
Joanne Rosen

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:45 am    Post subject: Sigh . . . Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad I was so excited as we, too, were offered jobs. We almost wired them money to process visa and work permit stuff. But, something didn't feel right.

I'm glad we saw this post.

Ciao
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL in Western Europe All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: