ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

POLL: Using Films in the ESL Classroom

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> Other ESL Resources...
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How often do you use films in the classroom?
1. I havenít quite figured out a good way to incorporate film into my lessons.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
2. Iíve tried it a few times, but it didnít really work for my style of teaching.
16%
 16%  [ 1 ]
3. I often show films during the holidays or at the end of a semester.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
4. I sometimes have students watch films as an alternative to class-work.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
5. I find them useful for listening and comprehension practice.
33%
 33%  [ 2 ]
6. I love to use films in class and find them useful for illustrating culture.
50%
 50%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 6

ESL-Lesson-Plan Author

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:23 pm    Post subject: POLL: Using Films in the ESL Classroom Reply with quote

If your students are anything like mine, they probably love cinema and all have their favorite movies and movie stars. I have found that using film in the ESL classroom can be an enjoyable and useful experience. How often do you use films in the classroom?
Wocca

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:15 am    Post subject: Listening & Comprehension in China University Reply with quote

The subject that I teach first year postgraduate non - English - majors in China, is "CONVERSATION & COMPOSITION". Our purpose is to basically develop listening and comprehension skills.

Before students can be awarded their Masters' Degree, they must also pass a national proficiency test , known as G.E.T. ( General English Test ). There is
C.E.T.6 ( College English Test - Band 6 ) for undergraduates.

I use a combination of short "films" regularly. These include some music video clips ( karaoke-style ) with the English words printed on the screen. Chinese love that !!!

The old "Family Album USA" series works well for me. Each story consists of three chapters, & lasts for about 20 minutes in total. There is opportunity for discussion at the end of each chapter.

I recommend to students that when they watch English - language movies in their own time, they should cover the monitor or screen with a piece of paper, so they can NOT read the subtitles in their own native language. The idea is to improve students' listening and comprehension of the " foreign " language, rather than enhance speed reading skill of their native language.
ESL-Lesson-Plan Author

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:05 am    Post subject: These are all great! Reply with quote

Wocca - thanks for sharing your ideas! You've listed at least 3 good ones here:

Music video/karaoke
    Covering subtitles to accentuate lc
    Family Album USA series

These are all great! Make sure to visit my blog this month for lots of toher ideas on using film as a theme in the classroom! http://ESL-Lesson-Plan.com
Lee Hobbs
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:39 am    Post subject: When polls collide! Reply with quote

guest wrote:
How often do you use films in the classroom?

I recently came across this post you created about film usage.

How bizarre, I just did a similar one to yours with polls etc. (Iíll change mine and shift it around now.) linking back to your blog entry HERE.

Honestly, I wasnít copying you, we must have come up with that idea simultaneously!

Good work though, this is a hot issue right now, it seems. Just for kicks, see the polls I made any way HERE (also left as a comment on your blog).

Look forward to seeing the results in the next ESL Instruct newsletter.

Later!

Lee
http://www.english-blog.com

Lee's blog is still available, however, here: www.english-blog.com

Last edited by Lee Hobbs on Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:07 am; edited 3 times in total
ESL-Lesson-Plan Author

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 5:42 am    Post subject: great link to an on-line site that offers movie trailers Reply with quote

Hi everyone! I just posted a great link to an on-line site that offers movie trailers and coordinating ESL activities.

Check it out HERE!
sigmoid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be the devil's advocate and state that showing movies are for lazy teachers. Laughing

Most films are too long for a single class.

Without proper preparation, I don't think there are many benefits.

Also, most movies include violence, sexual references, toilet humor, drug use, as well as racist and sexist jokes and stereotypes.

If the material is specifically made for teaching, ok, that's different.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> Other ESL Resources... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: