ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Working without a degree

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL Academic Degrees...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevinleitch

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:18 pm    Post subject: Working without a degree Reply with quote

Hi there all!

Firstly, I'd like to say a warm hello to everyone. I am looking for advice on finding work in Almaty or Astana, Kazakhstan, without a Degree... Does anyone here know of any schools willing to take newly qualified teachers on, without a degree.
Although I am looking at the possibility of taking on an English degree course or business studies. I am looking at moving to Almaty possibly in 2 years time, and also looking at doing my TESOL training here and trying to do voluntary work to gain good experience before going to Kazakhstan.

Any advice or info would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks for taking time to read my query!!

Kevin. Smile
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A LOT can change in two years' time. I suggest getting together a list of EFL institutes and emailing them closer to the time you'll be there.
bonvivant

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As to the question of do you need a degree to teach esl, probably not. When I first heard about this esl teaching stuff, I was told that one definitely needed a specific Masters English degree in order for anyone to hire me. When I got my first job, I was finding people who either did not have a degree at all and some even were high school dropouts or they had $199 internet degrees. Now the schools are interested in two things, which are if you have some certificate from some three month esl course and if you are not over 55 or 60 years old. A degree in hopscotch will mean just as much as any English degree. The students are interested mainly in how much time they can waste or are bored to death because, as is the case with the Chinese, they have memorized the grammar book already and need more grammar as much as the Pacific Ocean needs salt water. IŽm not sure what the point of all of this esl teaching is supposed to be, but right now I am convinced that it is a cash cow for somebody because it certainly is not intended to teach the English language to anybody. The whole business needs a good house cleaning if it is to do what it is said to be doing. But donŽt waste you money on a college degree if you are intending to earn a living from your efforts because youŽll spend more on the degree than you will ever earn afterwards. Why these people need foreign teachers to sing songs to them, to play CDŽs/DVDŽs, and to play games with them is beyond my understanding. And that is the sum total of the instructions that youŽll get from these courses. But if you have the cash, they are willing to take you for the ride of your life.
lestermiles

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Working without a degree Reply with quote

I think you do need a degree to teach there.

kevinleitch wrote:
Hi there all!

Firstly, I'd like to say a warm hello to everyone. I am looking for advice on finding work in Almaty or Astana, Kazakhstan, without a Degree... Does anyone here know of any schools willing to take newly qualified teachers on, without a degree.
Although I am looking at the possibility of taking on an English degree course or business studies. I am looking at moving to Almaty possibly in 2 years time, and also looking at doing my TESOL training here and trying to do voluntary work to gain good experience before going to Kazakhstan.

Any advice or info would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks for taking time to read my query!!

Kevin. Smile
aardvark

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, I am so glad countries in the ME kick the dilettantes to the curb......
Just imagine what your degreed colleagues think of you as you teach a subject....
Does the phrase, "Watch your 6" mean anything to you?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL Academic Degrees... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: