ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone familiar with Qatar??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL in Africa & S.W. Asia [Middle East]...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aardvark

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:43 am    Post subject: Anyone familiar with Qatar?? Reply with quote

According to the job desirability index, UAE is at the top in the Middle East and Yemen is way down at the bottom. However, Qatar, the home of Al Jazeera, is cited as being a close second to UAE.

Could someone give their opinions on the desirability of Qatar? Are they strict on Islam like the Muslims in KSA? What are the living conditions like? Is it easy to teach students there? Question
St. George

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:16 pm    Post subject: GOOD STUDENTS Reply with quote

Aardvark

I have not been to Qatar and so I can't answer any of your questions. However, I was once offered a job there, only to discover that it was on Das Island, which is 100 miles offshore.

Lots of oil and gas but no nightlife. Therefore, if you want some nightlife, aim for the mainland and make sure you are not going to be seconded to Das Island.

As for good Arab students; well, you are going to have to join the armed forces for good students. I was offered a job with the Sultan of Oman's Armed Forces and chose Bahrain instead. I often think that I made a big mistake by not going there. I used to be in the navy and I quite liked dressing up for dinner with my cummerbund. Too late for me now but why don't you try for Oman? I've heard good reports...

Best of luck

St. G
afzal2112

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im not sure about living costs in qatar, but i lived in the uae before. food was roughly the same as the uk drinks were alot cheaper, alcoholic drinks excluded. the hotels were very expensive in dubai, but thats because there all fancy, not sure about qatar. i heard qatar is a little undeveloped compared to other countries in the middle east etc bahrain uae oman etc etc.
sophia

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:38 am    Post subject: Qatar any College ESL Openings & degree certification Reply with quote

I would choose Qatar over many of the M.E. countries. It is more developed, the people are friendly,more flexible. I'm looking for a job there now at the college level but I am not seeing openings. By the way, I had my Master degrees certified at the U.S. embassy.

Most of the Mid East countries now require that college degrees are validated and certified by their country at their embassy in your home country. This came about when they discovered people had been faking degrees made in Asian countries. It took them about 3 months to check and certify my degrees.
aardvark

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:38 pm    Post subject: military for students Reply with quote

The question of whether it's good to teach military raises some questions when you teach in Saudi Arabia.
For one, teachers like to distinguish between the officer corps and the enlisted men. On Daves ESL, some teachers found the officers to be spoiled and worthless. The enlisted men were more favorably viewed by some teachers. In the event of an uprising, teachers of military would make ideal targets for hotheads. It would take a lot of money to make me consider teaching military, no matter how motivated the students might be (and it would take a lot of motivation for Arab students).

Oman, with its capricious hiring practices, is a lost cause. It seems that out of 7 colleges, one gets picked to be the "douchebag headquarters" and in 2013, the winner was Al Musanna.

Teaching military is not necessarily a bad thing, but Arabs and U.S. contractors will make you jump thru hoops, which will include your passport. I don't think I could stand the constant scrutiny of an American company, especially in the aftermath of Edward Snowden.
St. George

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:06 pm    Post subject: TRUST Reply with quote

"Never trust an Arab"

St. G
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL in Africa & S.W. Asia [Middle East]... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: