ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching in Chicago

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL on the North American Continent . . .
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zub

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 10:47 pm    Post subject: Teaching in Chicago Reply with quote

Hiya Folks

Im in Britain and I want to teach in Chicago.
I was wondering if anyone knows any schemes in Chicago that would take on board overseas teachers. Or if there are any British schemes I could contact.
Also, the visa I require to work in US requires consent by the employer--however, how can an employer give their consent without first interviewing me?

Thanks for the help

Zub
unionjack
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 12:54 am    Post subject: Visa Reply with quote

One of the ways an individual can obtain residency and work authorisation in the United States is through Sponsorship by an Employer. You have therefore, to obtain a contract of employment. How you get this doesn't really matter. It could be by job application from the UK or you could look for work in Chicago on a visitor's visa. Once you have a contract of employment, you can apply for a visa.

UJ
Zub

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 12:53 am    Post subject: Which Visa form to apply for? Reply with quote

Uj
Which Visa form should I apply for if I am to visit the states and then get a contract of employment there later?

Zub
unionjack
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:37 am    Post subject: Visas Reply with quote

Zub

The US has extended the Visa Waiver Programme until October 2005 provided you have a readable passport. After that date you will require a biometric passport.

Therefore, if you hold a British readable passport, then you do not require a visa to visit the US as a tourist, before October 2005.

Once you have a job, it will depend upon your profession and qualifications which visa application you need to complete. I am guessing that it is category EB-3

Further information on these visas can be found on the following three web sites

http://www.onlinevisas.com/permanent_visas.asp

http://www.ukpa.gov.uk/press_260704.asp

http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_web/visa/niv/vwp.htm

UJ
Zub

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 5:38 pm    Post subject: Finding Accomodation in Chicago Reply with quote

Peeps
I'm in London and I want to live in Chicago and possibly secure some accommodation there before I go, any ideas how I can do this?

www.craigslist.com is one useful website that advertises accommodation...

any other methods I could try?

I know someone in the specific area, however her landlord isn't up for any guests, what ways could she help?

Thanks

Zub
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have your friend check the clasifieds in the local papers...there will always be far more listings there, if she doesn't mind calling around for you. To secure the place, she'll probably be asked to leave some sort of deposit. Otherwise, why not pan for a couple of days in an inexpensive hotel/hostel while you do some looking yourself?
lestermiles

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:10 am    Post subject: Re: Teaching in Chicago Reply with quote

I've been to Chicago before, the one problem is it's freezing there. It's like nails hitting your body in the winter.

Zub wrote:
Hiya Folks

I was wondering if anyone knows any schemes in Chicago that would take on board overseas teachers. Or if there are any British schemes I could contact.
Also, the visa I require to work in US requires consent by the employer--however, how can an employer give their consent without first interviewing me?

Thanks for the help

Zub
jMendez86

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:55 am    Post subject: Re: Teaching in Chicago Reply with quote

Zub wrote:
Hiya Folks

Thanks for the help

Zub

When I was looking for work the scariest thing was not knowing where to go and what resources were out there. I had no idea that I was going to be out of work for so long. I was looking for work for about 6 months. I was running out of options. I finally found hound dot com I was so excited to find a resource that was able to give me realistic results. I had no idea they had access to so many jobs. If you are looking for jobs in Chicago hound dot com is the best resource
jMendez86

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:57 am    Post subject: ESL best job search Reply with quote

Seriously, one of the BEST places to look for work for all those who speak English as a second language I was able to get in touch with someone who spoke Spanish and let me know there were employers looking for me.
jMendez86

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:21 am    Post subject: Re: Teaching in Chicago Reply with quote

Zub wrote:
Hiya Folks

Thanks for the help

Zub

If you are looking for employment in Chicago, I recommend using a website like employmentcrossing.com. I was able to get a great job within just a few days of signing up with them. I have no idea how that happened. I thought I was going to be looking for work for months. I was very impressed with the service. Employment crossing for jobs in Chicago was the best option for me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL on the North American Continent . . . All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: