ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Middle East jobhunting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL in Africa & S.W. Asia [Middle East]...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LeedsTyke

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:38 am    Post subject: Middle East jobhunting Reply with quote

I'm currently looking for work in the Middle East but am not sure how best to go about it. I have a BA (Hons) in Modern Languages, a Master's in Translation, the Trinity TESOL Diploma, CertTEB, One to One teaching cert and a DOS Cert. I've been teaching for 18 years, the last 17 in Spain. I've done a lot of business English teaching and earlier this year also taught undergraduates for a term at university in Barcelona. I would like to avoid teaching kids if possible.

Is ESLemployment.com a good place to find work or is it best to approach companies/schools directly? If the latter, does anyone have a directory of reputable employers?

I'm planning to move back to England at the end of the year so would be available to work from January 2013. Does anyone know when the busiest time for hiring in the Middle East is?

All advice appreciated.
unionjack
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:33 pm    Post subject: JOBS Reply with quote

Hello LeedsTyke

Once you are on the grapevine, you will know where all the jobs are in the Middle East but until then it is rather a struggle to get started.

I've always relied on the job advertisements in the newspapers. The Times Educational Supplement (TES) is a good place to start. Then there's The Guardian and then The Daily Telegraph

http://info.tes.co.uk/?infinity=gaw~UKGOO-BRAND-SPART-Brand~UKGOO-BRAND%2BEXACT-BRGEN%2BTimes%20Educational%20Supplement~15966039444~times%20educational%20supplement~e&gclid=CKrSx5Tm-7ICFcPHtAod7VEALw

Job advertisements for the Middle East are usually put in the Newspapers by UK Recruitment Agencies and it is with them whom you would make your first contact.

Of course you will use all means in order to search for jobs and Job Boards are another source and even writing direct to the school. Our school directory contains over 10,000 ESL school addresses worldwide and 400 of these are in the Middle East. Check it out here http://www.esl-school-finder.com/

One way of avoiding children is to work for a company which has their own training department. Their trainees require English prior to receiving technical training. Also universities would be another place to avoid children.

With your qualifications and experience, I would suggest you apply for a senior position.

Hope that helps

UJ
JustMe

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Oman, the Colleges of Technology seem to always need teachers. They use recruiters which advertise on many of the popular ESL employment websites. They are definitely looking for people now. The Colleges of Applied Sciences also often have vacancies. You can apply directly to them through the Ministry of Higher Education website, although they also use recruiters. There are a lot of private colleges and universities here, but they don't seem to advertise very much. You have to look at their websites to find any vacancies. January is near the beginning of the second semester, but you won't be able to schedule your hiring. They'll either want you yesterday or after a long, long time. It's all quite random. Good luck.
lali

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try the following websites for Middle East jobs.

www.tefl.com
www.tefl.net
www.teachsaudi.com
www.eslcafe.com
www.esljobfeed.com
www.eslbase.com
www.teachmideast.com

Generally employers in the Middle East advertise their jobs on EFL websites but there's no harm in applying to the institutions directly.
St. George

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:30 pm    Post subject: JOB BOARDS Reply with quote

Legitimate and well established companies, in the Middle East or elsewhere, do not generally advertise on ESL websites.

I have had many jobs abroad and at home and I have never used Job Boards, nor do I know anyone who does.

St. G
lali

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear St George

You are wrong about employers not advertising on ESL websites. I have found most of my jobs in the UK and the Middle East on ESL websites.

I have worked at a state school in the UAE and am currently teaching at a university in Saudi Arabia. I found both jobs on ESL websites.

If you care to look at the websites I posted previously, you will see jobs posted for the Middle East, as well as elsewhere. For example the University of Nizwa in Oman is currently advertising for teachers on TEFL.com. This website also advertises jobs for the Middle East. These jobs are not scams. Even Saudi ARAMCO, the biggest company in the world advertise their jobs on the internet.
St. George

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:46 pm    Post subject: GENERALLY Reply with quote

Hello Lali

You used 'generally', which means 'in most cases' and therefore, I disagree with you on this. Some legitimate Middle East employers do use Job Boards but most don't.

In any case, one would have to be very careful when replying to these FREE Job Advertisements because their legitimacy is not being established, as evidenced by the number of scams.

St. G
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL in Africa & S.W. Asia [Middle East]... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: