ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What to expect in Q8

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL in Africa & S.W. Asia [Middle East]...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aardvark

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:14 am    Post subject: What to expect in Q8 Reply with quote

Hmmm.... how can I put this?
Students who didn't get their 1st choice of universities come to your school expecting to get good grades just by showing up.
Students who know that you must take attendance at 10 min. past the hour and walk in speaking Arabic to their friends at 9 past the hour.
Students who spend most of their time looking at cell phones and even a few who are stupid enough to take calls while you are teaching.
"I must take the call. It's from my father." I said no, so what does that mean?

Students who need constant direction while you are trying to get a project done. As they type away on computers, it's always, "Teacher please" "Teacher I need help?" it's more like elementary school than university.

Did I miss anything? Yup, a few things, but I'll tell you later.
St. George

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:29 pm    Post subject: TAKE IT EASY Reply with quote

Sounds like par for the course

Remember to keep the following in mind and you will get through it.

Go with the flow, otherwise you will make yourself ill.

If you can't hack it, then you will have to go back to civilization for your own sanity.

Let the boat rock; you can't change their culture and you can't change them, so don't try.

Take it easy - that's an Arab expression and the sooner you learn it, the better it will be for you and everybody else.

It's called culture shock. If you can't accept their way of life, get out quick before it drives you mad.

You might get a permanent contract tomorrow but if you don't - take it easy
aardvark

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can take the stupidity. It's the rudeness that upsets me. Evil or Very Mad
Students who actually get up from their seats and walk past me to print out their papers which are already late.

In Saudi, the teachers couldn't get to Bahrain or Dubai fast enough, and the Saudi academic calendar was liberal with holidays.
This place is stingy with holidays and the work load is double that of a KSA university. Keep in mind that it's private enterprise here in Q8.

That saying really applies in this case, "Westerners only come to the ME twice for 2 reasons: once for the need, and twice for the greed." Neutral
aardvark

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 9:42 pm    Post subject: I'm OUT Reply with quote

I quit. Teaching here is like teaching at continuation school. "Enabling learning in a culture of care" is their CROCK motto and they treat education like a business.

When you have a bunch of engineer multimillionaires get together, they figure out ways to make $$ and cheat the teachers, even if they are paid like, what?, $5K per month.

The teachers have had no break from work since Feb.!!! The students got 1 week off while the teachers had to come in and grade their papers and tests. The misery continued and (this is the best part) we have to work until mid June while the rest of the ME is already on vacation!

Did I mention I HATE TWIDGET ENGINEERS!?!?! Evil or Very Mad Exclamation Mr. Green
aardvark

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To the Teachers: Be the best you can. You are not touching only one life, but many lives.---Prof.Winnie Monsod

Yeah, Winnie....I'm sure with a name like "Winnie" you got by on sunshine and rainbows and a few affirmative action steps that screwed over better qualified people.
Anyway, Q8 students would piddle off Jesus, the Prophet Mohammed, and Buddah. All at the same time. No one walks away from $5K per month and people are doing it regularly here. The sad part is that the veteran teachers here see themselves as wunderkinds who sacrifice so much for their students. It takes a toll and the younger ones are aging fast....there is a younger quasi-dept. head who is in her 20s but she looks like she is pushing 40. 5 years is about the limit for teachers and they are bailing out. Shocked
aardvark

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:03 am    Post subject: Last post for a loooong time Reply with quote

I get tired of one-way communication and it's been that way on this board for a long time. So I'd like to say if you are thinking about Q8, just don't do it. Kuwait is the land of bad vibes.....when I first got here, I was in line to buy at a supermarket. A Q80 husband and wife were behind me and rather than wait to go thru the line, the husband pushed his cart into my butt and indicated that he wanted to go thru. I looked at him like there would be major excrement if he continued. His wife (wearing the garbage bag) got bored and decided to go to another line, and being the obedient muzzy hubby, he followed her lead. To put it succinctly: this country sucks. Don't say I didn't warn you...... Evil or Very Mad Razz Kuwait is a country in search of an ass kickin' It's too bad Saddam didn't finish what he started.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL in Africa & S.W. Asia [Middle East]... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: