ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Age - over 50
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> Discrimination Issues in ESL...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anja

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 3:55 am    Post subject: Age - over 50 Reply with quote

Any ideas how to overcome the problem of getting one's first EFL job when one is over 50? I am a qualified primary school teacher with a M Ed and Grad Cert in TESOL but seem to have troble getting anywhere when sending applications for overseas jobs. I have a very youthful outlook in life and love travelling and meeting new people. It is so disappointing to find that one's age can be such a hinderance. Rolling Eyes
unionjack
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 10:52 am    Post subject: Over 50 Reply with quote

The first job is difficult to get but then it gets easier after that.
I was 50 when I got my first teaching job overseas and then after some experience I was able to pick and choose. You may not have to be so choosy but be careful, as there are some dangerous places out there, especially for a female. I've spent all of my time (12 years) in the Middle East but I wouldn't recommend that to anyone. Nor would I recommend any of those other so called exotic countries. They are backward and fanatical in their outlook.
I would choose anywhere in Europe, where the people are similar to yourself.

Just keep sending off lots and lots of applications and something will turn up. It always does

Last edited by unionjack on Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
mari

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:43 pm    Post subject: over 50 Reply with quote

When I first qualified, I asked a recruiter if my age (57) would be a problem--she was looking for teachers for Korea or China. She said there were plenty of older people all over the place and that she didn't think it counted with most schools there. When I applied to Yemen (loved it!) it wasn't a problem. It also wasn't a problem in London--but that was in summer. Maybe it just depends on how choosy the place can afford to be.
unionjack
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 4:48 pm    Post subject: over 50 Reply with quote

I'm 69 now and I've just got a job teaching at a local college in the UK. There is a shortage of teachers because they are all retiring early.

Everybody wants to retire early and so there is hope for us oldies, who want to carry on working.

So keep trying.
alvmitchel

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 12:36 am    Post subject: How is Your Search Progressing Reply with quote

Am 62 year old male - semi-retired government executive who has spent past two years as substitute English teacher in public schools. Have BA in English and MA in government. Have passed PRAXIS I and II (in English language and literature). Will be taking PRAXIS exam in English pedagogy in March. Am currently enrolled in on-line TESL course. Suppose it is a waste of money but can't hurt.

Want to teach in Europe, Eastern Europe, Central or South America. Was offered position in China but family felt it was just a little too far.

How is your search for a posion going? Any tips for an old guy like me.

Thanks.

Al
Lee Hobbs
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Age - over 50 Reply with quote

Anja wrote:
Any ideas how to overcome the problem of getting one's first EFL job when one is over 50? I am a qualified primary school teacher with a M Ed and Grad Cert in TESOL but seem to have troble getting anywhere when sending applications for overseas jobs. I have a very youthful outlook in life and love travelling and meeting new people. It is so disappointing to find that one's age can be such a hinderance. Rolling Eyes

Readers, this topic seems to spill over on to other threads. There is another discussion on age and hiring practices in the overseas ESL industry here:

http://www.esl-jobs-forum.com/viewtopic.php?p=7296#7296

This is a real issue and the forum benefits from hearing ALL of your experiences.

Thanks,

Lee

Lee's blog is still available, however, here: www.english-blog.com
sigmoid

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Current demand for foreign teachers across Asia is HIGH.

Regardless of age, if you are presentable, healthy and educated, you should be able to find a position teaching. The important thing [and sometimes difficult thing] is to find a GOOD position. There are a lot of crap schools and institutions. In essence, you should have the attitude that you are interviewing the schools, not vice versa. Find out what they can do for you, not what their requirements are.

Also, remember that teaching English in a language center is just one type of teaching. Opportunities also exist in 'international' and 'bilingual' pre-schools, primary and secondary schools, colleges and universities for teaching a wide variety of subjects.
Lee Hobbs
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:00 pm    Post subject: Where age can be an advantage Reply with quote

sigmoid wrote:
Opportunities also exist in 'international' and 'bilingual' pre-schools, primary and secondary schools, colleges and universities for teaching a wide variety of subjects.

Hi Sigmoid,

I agree. In Lisa's case (see above) with her master's degree in education and years of demonstrable experience, she would do well to investigate teaching abroad at the university level where age is less of an issue (good chance that most of the faculty are 40+), even revered in some cases.

Lee

Lee's blog is still available, however, here: www.english-blog.com
DLMorgan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:09 pm    Post subject: Age as a positive or negative? Reply with quote

Hi everyone

I've recently left Prague where I was teaching for two years, first in a Language School followed by a year in a Czech High School. In both cases I found that my age worked for me (I'm now 46). In the Language School, many older business men and women requested someone 'more mature' - quite reasonably - as having an hour or two of conversation is much more interesting with someone who has life experience and a bit of business knowledge.

In the HIgh School it was very obvious as I was helping select my replacement that the Head of English wanted someone near her own age (she is in her early 50s) for social and professional reasons.

Next month I'm heading to South Korea where I've read that the 'perfect teacher profile' is a blonde, female, 23yr old inexperienced American. Well, yipee, one out of five isn't bad is it? At least I'm female.

So far the agency I'm going through haven't given me any indications that my particular profile will be an issue, but will I be the only English woman in her 40's in the country? It's one thing to have trouble finding a job because of these factors, it's another to make a life in a new country when there is no way to fit into either the local cultural or ex-pat community. Any comments or advice anyone?
EricR

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a funny thing... I'm now 65, retired from Univ. teaching 4 years ago, studied Japanese & Chinese, got a CELTA certificate, and this summer started applying for ESL teaching in China. I saw so many posts specifying upper age limit (as low as 40) that I wondered whether I had a chance. But to my surprise I got 3 offers within a couple of weeks, including one university, and I now have a contract to go to a language training school in Chongqing, leaving next month. And many of the schools actually say on their sites that they prefer older teachers.

I must say that I intentionally sent my documents to smaller cities in the interior of China, not to the big cities on the coast, because that's the kind of environment I prefer (even Chongqing is big for my taste). But it was a pleasant surprise to have all these people sending me contracts without even calling up for an interview. As for the quality of what I might be getting into, that's another question of course -- but at least I had a lot to choose from!

For what it's worth, that's my experience....... so far.
St. George

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:55 pm    Post subject: Teaching years Reply with quote

Good on you EricR. I'm 73 and still going strong and so you still have a good many productive years ahead of you.

Best of luck.

St. G
sammy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my friend is 65 years old, and currently teaching in malaysia. she was 60 when she applied but she was turned down by her first employer because of her age but then again she applied for a couple more different companies until she got her job now. she was hired by the age of 62. so i say, keep trying!
JustMe

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my part of the world, lots of teachers over the age of 60 have gained employment. We even had a 69 year old. I think it's never impossible to get a job.
Mummimia

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:59 am    Post subject: Age-over 50 Reply with quote

I (Anja) posted the original question. Luckily I did get a job in Italy at a language school soon after. I taught for one year 2004-2005, but had to return to Australia for family reasons. Now I am thinking of finding another job next year (2011) somewhere in Europe. The pay in southern Europe is really low, so I would like to find somewhere further north where the wages are at least reasonable. Any ideas?
bonvivant

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:14 pm    Post subject: Age problems are controlled by the CP Reply with quote

The age problem is not in the Chinese schools but in the rulings of the CP, which controls how the schools are run. The schools have nothing to do with the Z Visas.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> Discrimination Issues in ESL... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: