ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Disingenuous person

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL in Korea [Only]...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zylan

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 1:40 am    Post subject: Disingenuous person Reply with quote

There is a guy who posted on another forum about how vile Korea is, yet he is going back to Korea to teach English. He is from North Carolina and was teaching at Avalon in Suwon. He rants on about Korea, yet he is returning only because of the money. I wonder if he is really a teacher. If he harbors such feelings then how effective will he be at really trying to help Koreans learn English? I find it disingenuous that he is just trying to make money and couldn't care less about teaching Koreans English. He is only interested in money, partying, and women. Anyone might possibly know who he is? Here is a link to the forum thread which is still ongoing. If he is, you might want to let the word out to the schools. He doesn't deserve to teach in Korea or any other country really. His original post is in that forum. If the moderators want to lock this thread, that is fine, but at least let others know.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/asia/2109787-my-korean-rant.html

I've been working in South Korea for the past 2 years teaching English and thought i'd share my impressions.

If it wasn't for the money and convenience I would not live here. Never seen a more fugged up society in my life. Growing up kids are enslaved to the education system. They are pretty much in a school setting all day and all night along with Saturdays. I would literally go crazy with their schedule and workload. They are def smart, but I am not sure the price is worth it. You must strike a balance. Somewhere between the West's (US) and the East.

Then after college most people just slave away at some job for the rest of their life. I really doubt most people ever truly enjoy their life. Korea has one of the highest suicide rates in the world. Additionally, Korea is one of the most vain and materialistic countries i've come across. The only thing people care about are looks and money. I kid you not, women have to spend at least half the day looking at themselves in a mirror.

Korea is also quite racist. Xenophobic and homogenous describes them quite well. People on a whole are simply not very friendly or helping to outsiders. Hell I am not even sure they help themselves. Can't tell you how many times i've been on the subway and some drunk Korean man is harassing women and not one person confronts him and tells him to stop. I have to get up and tell the joker to stop in my broken Korean, maybe throw in some swear words to show him I am not kidding.

They also have a distinct lack of manners. They spit all over the place and make a ton of noise when they eat. People cut in front of you in lines, cut you off going through doors, do not give way when walking on the side walk.

I am sure I am missing stuff, but really, Korea is a vile country imo.

Not to completely trash Korea, I will conclude with some things I like

Great transportation system & Good food

Thank God for vacations to South East Asia and Latin America!
St. George

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 9:10 am    Post subject: BEHAVIOUR Reply with quote

I sympathise with the guy because it can really be very difficult to accept another's culture. I wouldn't like their behaviour either but I would do my best to teach them in spite of their failings.

Most people work for the money and most people are not happy with their conditions of work. Nevertheless, they do it because they have families to feed.

Most expats probably think like him...

St. G.
zylan

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 1:31 am    Post subject: Re: BEHAVIOUR Reply with quote

St. George wrote:
I sympathise with the guy because it can really be very difficult to accept another's culture. I wouldn't like their behaviour either but I would do my best to teach them in spite of their failings.

Most people work for the money and most people are not happy with their conditions of work. Nevertheless, they do it because they have families to feed.

Most expats probably think like him...

St. G.

Did you read the thread? He is a 28yr old single guy from N.Carolina looking to party and have fun...if he was trying to feed a family, he could just stay in the U.S. If he can't accept the other culture, why in the hell go over there too teach...just stay home. I hope Korea requires one day that only Americans with a teaching certificate or only American teachers are allowed to teach English in Korea one day. Another issue i heard is that some Americans feel other Americans aren't qualified to teach English, but somehow get through. I can see Korea tightening the screws on that too.
St. George

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 8:46 am    Post subject: SANE Reply with quote

I agree, these guys spoil it for other expats but have you ever been to these "third world countries"?

Unless you think like him, you'll just make yourself ill. He probably does a good job teaching but keeps himself sane by these distractions.

I've had 15 years teaching in these places and with the best will in the world, it is not easy. I wouldn't go back... unless I needed the money.
zylan

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: SANE Reply with quote

St. George wrote:
I agree, these guys spoil it for other expats but have you ever been to these "third world countries"?

Unless you think like him, you'll just make yourself ill. He probably does a good job teaching but keeps himself sane by these distractions.

I've had 15 years teaching in these places and with the best will in the world, it is not easy. I wouldn't go back... unless I needed the money.

i used to live in SE Asia and emigrated to the states. again, if you don't like the environment. stay home. if he can't get a decent job in the u.s that pays more than korea, that means he is doing something wrong or just a failure.
St. George

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 8:32 am    Post subject: DISTRACTIONS Reply with quote

Again, I agree with what you say. Many expats are failures in their own country and can't get a job. So, the only way they can make money, is by working abroad, where the employer is easily conned by recruiting agents and employees. Generally, these people are wasters and make no contribution to the workplace but are able to keep the boss happy by other means.

Nevertheless, my original point was that unless you have other distractions, in these places, away from your work, then you will go mad.

St. G.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL in Korea [Only]... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: