ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ESL in BC Canada going down faster than express elevator

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL on the North American Continent . . .
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aardvark

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:19 pm    Post subject: ESL in BC Canada going down faster than express elevator Reply with quote

Look at the latest "advertising" from Footprints Recruiting. Vancouver was known as "ESL city" but things have quickly gone south. According to the article, there won't be a turnaround in hiring until 2017. May God have mercy on our souls.

"Deep cuts to balance BC school budgets, felt by new education graduates and experienced teachers. Footprints can help.

You decided long ago to dedicate your life to educating the minds of young people - you have your B.Ed in hand and you’ve just received confirmation you’re officially registered as a certified teacher. Fantastic! You’ve worked hard, spent your money (or more accurately, gone into debt), suffered and survived with what seemed like a never-ending practicum and now you’re ready to take on your very own class. Classroom management? “I got this.” Differentiation of Instruction? “I know what it means and, better yet, I know how to do it!” Experience? “Ummm, doesn’t the practicum count for anything?”
Reality Check (I know, I hate them too).

Listen, no one doubts your ability. You’re a trained education professional. After all, you have the university degree to prove it! The only problem? You live in one of the most expensive cities in the world and there happen to be very few teaching jobs available. What’s more, the teaching jobs are becoming more scarce. Seriously?!

School boards across the province of British Columbia are making cuts across the board (no pun intended), from possibly eliminating athletic programs to lay-offs of almost 70 full-time positions in the Vancouver district alone (The Vancouver Sun, 2014). Making cuts (almost $60 million worth, by the way) means no new hires. Even those with jobs are facing the possibility they could be without next year (The Province, 2014).
Teaching Job Prospects

I get it. You want to stay in B.C. to remain close to your family and Y Yoga. I mean, you signed up for the year- long membership and you know how impossible it is to get out of! But if you’re looking for a full-time public school teaching position as a recent grad, you’re probably out of luck. Remember, you’re not the only one competing for the job. In fact, the Province’s need for replacement teachers for those leaving or retiring is not expected to increase until the year 2017. This has actually prompted other provinces, most notably Ontario, to cap funding for newly enrolled education majors. Yikes.
Deep Budget Cuts in BC

More than a third of Coquitlam teachers were laid off on May 8th, 2014. This is a reality that the district faces each year in BC and the situation is not expected to get better anytime soon. In fact, layoffs have been happening in the district since 2002 and continue to get worse each year.
Teaching Opportunities Abroad

Listen, my intention is not to deflate your optimism or tell you to pick another profession. All I’m suggesting, based on local prospects, is that you consider casting a wider net and entertain the idea of teaching abroad. This doesn’t have to be forever! The majority of contracts overseas are no more than 2 years in length and, aside from making some decent bank to pay off those student loans (and your Y Yoga membership), you’ll be gaining valuable experience as a full-time teacher in your very own classroom."
Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL on the North American Continent . . . All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: