ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question on would I be hirable based on age

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> Getting the ESL Job...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
steve.allen

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:19 pm    Post subject: Question on would I be hirable based on age Reply with quote

Hello everyone, first time here. I've been figuring out what to do after I retire. So here are the basics.

BS in Information Technology
MBA specializing in IT Management
MS in Information Security
I have 13 years experience teaching adults for companies like Microsoft, HP, and SAP in the US, Brazil, Japan, Korea, Taiwan, and Malaysia.
Certified trainer for several tech companies.
I'll get the TESL cert if I do this.
Now the rub, I expect to retire at 66 years old.

I'm looking at this for the cultural aspect. The wife and I have talked about teaching one year at a time in different countries to immerse ourselves in the culture. We are both in good shape and run multiple half marathons a year. The money isn't an issue, but would always be nice to supplement our retirement.

Doable?

Is this a pipe dream or is it possible to be hired
unionjack
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:51 am    Post subject: GO FOR IT Reply with quote

Hello Steve

Welcome to the forum.

You will be outside the age range for most countries by the time you retire. Check it out here:

http://www.internationalschoolsreview.com/nonmembers/age-article.htm

I take it that you are an American, so that would exclude the EU countries but as their culture is similar to your own, it shouldn't bother you. Your best bet would be to go for the countries you've already worked in and I would add Vietnam and Turkey to the list.

You need to check out international job boards like ours but be careful of scams. If you have to pay any money for visas, accommodation, air fares etc, then forget about it; it is a scam.

We have a School Finder guide, which will give you access to 10,000 ESL school addresses worldwide. They include email, telephone and named person contacts. Check it out here: http://www.esl-school-finder.com/

Go for it...

Best of luck

UJ
StanD

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve,

You have a solid background. It is doable for sure but as admin above said some countries won't take you at that age.

Wish you good luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> Getting the ESL Job... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: