ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I want to travel and teach english...where do I start?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> Training for ESL Teachers...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Montrealnative

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:49 am    Post subject: I want to travel and teach english...where do I start? Reply with quote

I want to make a decent living, and teach English outside of Canada. Or maybe just move to another city in Canada. I want to go to Africa, Europe, Asia South America and the east.

I see lots of ads for TESOL courses, but I really don't know which one to pick. I'm reading the site, and will check it out more later. I see DELTA is a good option.

I'm just wondering if I can start teaching RIGHT AWAY with a crummy certificate (money is not an object if it's gonna get me a good job). And then go from there.
Perhaps I can start teaching and then take correspondence courses to get more training so I can better help and get better pay.

A friend told me that someone she knows got a job teaching overseas, and her duties included cleaningout hte classroom and the pay wasn't stellar. I don't mind low pay if I'm working in a poor village but otherwise I'd like to get better paid.

There's a couple of legitimate courses at a local university but they both seem to take 1 or 4 years to complete. I am interested in them, I just don't want to do them right now! I'm 25, I want to travel!

so if you have any ideas, please share them. Or since you probably get many people passing through, and are tired of explaining over and over, just list a few threads where I can get a good start.

Thanks!
crueckert

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

In China, it's quite easy to pick up a job without having done a TEFL course. However, if you're thinking about doing one anyway, I'd recommend doing it before you go off to teach. Most TEFL and CELTA courses are 4 weeks long and will allow you to get a decent job with decent pay AND after having finished a course, you'll probably feel a lot more confident in the classroom.

Go to the following website for more information: http://www.esl-lesson-plan.com/archives/2006/07/professional_esl_development_which_tefl_certificate.php#more

It includes some websites for CELTA and DELTA courses, as well as some recommended reading.

Also, in regards to the DELTA, it's a 2 month intensive course (FT or 6 months or so part time) that can be taken two years after the completion of a CELTA.

Good luck!
crueckert@eslemployment.com

"I hear, and I forget. I see, and I remember. I do, and I understand." - Chinese Proverb
zark

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Advice on how to select a TEFL School can be found at:

http://phuketdelight.com/TEFL.htm
Elsie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:03 pm    Post subject: Where to take TESOL Reply with quote

Hi, I'm from Canada also and if you check the Torontpo yellow pages you will find some schools for English teachers...maybe Montreal also. These courses are usually 6 to 8 weeks intensive and cost around $800-$1000. They are accepted everywhere especially if you have a degree. I have been teaching in Mexico...Yucatan for 7 years and the pay for a teacher trainer is good. If you get a job for 6 hours a day you can live well here. Hope this helps Elsie
FutureCELTAtrainee

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Montrealnative Reply with quote

Dear Montrealnative,

A few months ago I had a similar problem like yours, to find a decent place to go on to teacher training. So after researching for it on internet I came across a cambridge esol website that deals with english teacher training. I can assure you that this is an only legitimate website www.cambridgeesol.org for english teachers and learners- (I acquired a brochure stating that same website from British Council office in my country). Choose your preferred course and a training centre, mine is CELTA that I am going to start studying next week for the whole November, 2007.

Good luck with your search and I hope you find it very useful.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> Training for ESL Teachers... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: