ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

First time with...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL to Business Persons...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bevcounty

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 5:42 pm    Post subject: First time with... Reply with quote

teaching business professionals and I am a bit nervous. Does anyone have any pointers on how to get comfortable or "break the ice" in these highly "professional" teaching enivorments? I am confident in my skills but my first time teaching in this type of environment is a bit unnerving...HELP!!!

Thanks,

Beverly
Sunil Pathiraja

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:31 pm    Post subject: Getting rid of nervousness Reply with quote

I have more or less the same problem with my professional students.
But I think I have overcome this to great extent.
The way to do this was revealed to me by a book by Dale Carnegie.
He says this nervousness is natural. Only thing is that you must be aware of it. Once this is realized, next step is to try to control it. As he further elaborates on it, certain degree of nervousness and excitment is really needed. It acts as a kind of enegizer.
Later I will tell you mor of this.
perseverance

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi- I have just spent six weeks teaching ESP to chinese students 16+ this semester for teaching practice. It can be fun ! It was my first time teaching business students too, I was nervous as well.

In my opinion, the important thing to remember probably with business students is that you'll probably have no problem with them, as long as what you teach is related to what they plan on doing in the future. They hate doing stuff that seems useless to their career, or so it seemed to me. Apart from that, it can be great ! The books (I know mine were in any case !!) can seem a bit weird at the beginning because it looks at teaching language in a different way. Apart from that, I don't think there's anything to worry about.

Hope this helps !

Claire Very Happy
Lee Hobbs
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:35 am    Post subject: Making Chit-chat in ESL Business-English Classes Reply with quote

bevcounty wrote:
Does anyone have any pointers on how to get comfortable or "break the ice" in these highly "professional" teaching enivorments?

Beverly,

Like Sunil, I too read a lot of Dale Carnegie in my early days. His classic bit of reading (perfect for old-school business types in the "old-world") is How to Win Friends and Influence People (Find it here). It's a quick read, but full of common-sense advice for making "friends" with just about anyone, including hard-to-crack ESL business students. Check it out.

Also, an icebreaking activity for the first day of professional ESL classes can be found on my blog here: http://www.english-blog.com/archives/2005/11/encouraging_esl_students_to_talk.php#comments

Please leave a remark if this helps!

Best,

Lee

http://www.english-blog.com

Lee's blog is still available, however, here: www.english-blog.com

Last edited by Lee Hobbs on Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
btownsend

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:54 am    Post subject: First time with... Reply with quote

Hello,
I can understand why you feel nervous as the relationship between you and your business people is different from the one with you and general English students. It is helpful to think of yourself as a 'facilitator' rather than a 'teacher'. Your role is to help them communicate in English rather than to teach them in the traditional sense. Don't try to explain the finer distinctions of grammar, instead make their ability to be understood and to understand your priority.

Gain their respect by being well prepared and professional in your approach. Conduct a needs analysis before you do anyhting else so that you show them you will focus on what they need for their work, not what you think they should have.

Make the lessons ones of discovery for them: plenty of tasks, pairwork and groupwork and have them report back to you after each one. Debrief after each task by pointing out the key elements that need to take away. Help them to monitor their own performance.

Try to appeal to a variety of learning styles.
Finally remember that you are the professional as far as helping them to learn is concerned: they can respect you for your expertise, just as you respect them for their's.

Good luck!
Lexicon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yet again i'm reading a thread months after it's died out, but I wanted to reply to Lee's post.

I find it interesting that he mentioned Carnegie's materials. Even though this stuff is from the 50's and 60's and its all corny as hell, it does work.

Most of what's written in the books seems like common sense to me, but I find myself using the basic principles of salesmanship and simple human interaction quite a bit in my courses.

In germany for one place, many of the things English speaking cultures consider simple basic customer service is totally foreign to them. They want to know it, but have to actually seek out the knowledge and are always more than happy to learn.

interesting how our teaching sometimes crosses from language to culture so quickly.

Good one Lee...how's the PhD coming?

--drew
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL to Business Persons... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: