ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korea--Potential to earn and save??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL in Korea [Only]...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
magicmajenta

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:45 am    Post subject: Korea--Potential to earn and save?? Reply with quote

I have been hearing that the pay is good in Korea for an ESL Teacher comparatively speaking compared to ESL teachers in other countries. I am talking about the savings potential connected to your salary. Is Korea the place with the greatest potential to actually start some savings of your salary? I was at a gathering and heard someone talk about how she knew a friend who was/is an ESL teacher in Korea and is actually keeping about $2000 of her salary each month besides rent,taxes, etc. And in like 2 years she and her husband who is also an ESL teacher in Korea were able to pay off their student loan. So like I said I wanted to know if Korea is the best place in terms of savings potential for an ESL teacher?
yukonsteve

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:32 pm    Post subject: ESL Jobs in Korea Reply with quote

Yes, Korea is a place where you can save a lot of money. It can be a bit dangerous finding a job here via the Internet though. Many are not what they appear. It is easy to get caught in an awful job. I did and it took me a long time to get out of the contract. Even then, they did not pay me my last two months of salary. I learned and later got a university job. This is where you can save a lot of money. Universities hire for September and March and do their interviews locally 2-4 months prior to the semester beginning.

I suggest if you are serious about the Korea option coming here as a tourist, or student, doing an intensive Korean language course, YBM-Sisa, Sogang University are two good programs of 10-12 weeks. While you are getting the basics in the language you can then visit schools and check them out yourself or interview for a university job.

Good luck
magicmajenta

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A University job?? On a TEFL Certificate as my credential, and a BA in Political Science? Are they willing to hire you with that??

Oh yeah. What about that school CDI. I had taken the 5 day TESOL TESL/TEFL Certificate course and had NO experience whatsoever then I put my resume on a website that hires people for Japan and this CDI school in Korea calls me on the phone and asks me if I am interested then asked me to write an essay and had a phone interview and just like that they wanted me. Anyone have any feedback on that school. I didn't accept since I really wanted to go to Europe and am here now. But in the future after taking a 4 week TEFL course and a couple of years teaching experience under my belt I thought about going to Korea. After all the bad schools that you mentioned that are out there, I now remember this CDI school that hired me and wonder if they are legit so to speak.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL in Korea [Only]... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: