ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Should we test young learners?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL to Young Learners...
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should we test young learners?
Yes
83%
 83%  [ 5 ]
No
16%
 16%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 6

crueckert

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:35 am    Post subject: Should we test young learners? Reply with quote

There are reasons for and against testing young learners' ability to speak English (in an ESL context).

Reasons for testing might include:
* some parents expect a score (based on a test)
* the school might require a score
* teachers can use the results to alter their syllabus and/or place students
* the students might be motivated by an appropriate test at their level
* tests can be part of the learning process

Reasons for not testing might include:
* young learners often acquire a second language naturally and somewhat quickly anyway- why test when they just need some time?
* testing has "negative back wash" or negative effects (eg. students who do poorly are then categorized as a "bad student")
* poor results can lead to a fear of testing for students later on
* In multilingual classrooms, ESL students are often at different levels with different backgrounds- so is it possible to grade the students fairly?
* When it comes to language, what you teach is not necessarily what is learned; some say that students have to acquire language at their own pace when they are ready... so why test?

So, what do you think? Should we test young learners or not? If you have further comments about how you test and give marks to young learners as well, feel free to comment below. It'd be interesting to hear from you!
crueckert@eslemployment.com

"I hear, and I forget. I see, and I remember. I do, and I understand." - Chinese Proverb
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL to Young Learners... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: