ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

AEON interview & Lesson plan help?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> Getting the ESL Job...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alik

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:23 pm    Post subject: AEON interview & Lesson plan help? Reply with quote

Hello, I have an upcoming interview with AEON on the 29th and I've been forming a lesson plan for the interview that works with colors.

My main concern is that perhaps I use too much English in my lesson plan? At my ecc interview they wanted us to use very very simple and basic English, I don't think that's the case for AEON. For the interview it's going to be things like

"What color is this?"
"This color is ~"
"What color is the ~?"
"What is your favorite color?"
The really complicated part comes when I explain the game at the end. I'll have to say things like "Break into groups" I'll have to explain that they match the colors with the words in the memory game. Things like that, so Is there any advice that anyone can give for explaining the game? Should I perhaps just toss it out of the lesson plan? I'd appreciate any advice I could get

This is a cut and paste from my tentative lesson plan

1) Open with an explanation of the colors by holding up the individual color cards and calling the color out to the class followed by the class’ repetition of the color. Write the colors on the board as you say them to the class.

2) I will hold up random color cards and ask the class to state the correct color of the card from memory.

3) Ask each student what their favorite color is

Cool I will hold up picture cards of various things and I will pick random objects and ask the class what color it is. i.e., “What color is the shirt?” ( maybe use classroom objects as they may be easier to see in the classroom and make the color that much more familiar to them)

5) Memory game

Thank you for any help in advance
Lee Hobbs
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:58 pm    Post subject: Lesson Plan Reply with quote

Looks like a very good start Alik...

What age group are you shooting for here? What level? (I am assuming introductory). How long do you project said lesson plan to run with X amount of students? What ancillary materials will you be using? Could these be questions your interviewers may ask you?

You may want to expand/explain the idea of "the memory game" for your readers so that we are all on the same page with that concept.

Will be curious to hear what our other posters have to say and contribute to your plan in progress.

-L

Lee's blog is still available, however, here: www.english-blog.com
Alik

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The memory game was to have 7 color cards and 7 cards with the name of the colors on them. The object of the game is to match the color with the correct name. I was also thinking of having the students say the color aloud, to ensure comprehension.

The age group is unknown, but their level is basic.

I guess my question is, how do I explain the instructions to the students? Maybe, I could just act out the game for them, I suppose?

As for the "test", which will be given to me at the AEON interview, I've heard it's "very basic" and now I've also heard that there are "5 questions only" but I've no idea what they cover. I cant imagine a 5 question grammar test... Does anyone have more info?

Thanks
aardvark

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:30 am    Post subject: AEON quiz Reply with quote

Here is the quiz that AEON uses to test English teachers:
It consists of 5 questions plus dictation for 5 words. The dictation is pretty easy for native English speakers.

The 1st three are error correction questions. "Correct the mistakes you find w/o rewriting the entire sentence"

1. They explained me the procedure.
2. Akira will have reached home by now.
3. There are a number of reasons I don't like him, but his meanness is the main.

Grammar Structure
Explain the difference in usage between the following:
"in" vs. "within" (as prepositions of time)

Vocabulary
Explain the difference in meaning between the following words:
"Jealous" vs."Envious"

AEON prints different versions of the test so that cheaters won't win, so there are 2 or so different versions of this quiz. They favor the energetic, quick-thinking type of instruction.
Life in Japan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:39 pm    Post subject: Part of the test Reply with quote

Long long ago in a .. well anyway, I went through the AEON interview process many years ago. All of the above that aardvark mentioned was similar to what I experienced. In my case, on the second day after being called back they gave me a grammar point to teach with 10 minutes (I think it was, it was a while ago) to prepare. The role of the students was being played by the two interviewers. When I was writing on the white board as part of my lesson, they were whispering in Japanese and giggling, when I looked at them they stopped, and when I started writing they were whispering and giggling again. Everything was very professional up to that point, so the whispering and giggling didn't make sense. I quickly realized that this was part of the test and they were actually wanting to see how I would react because it was too strange otherwise. So I acted as if nothing out of the ordinary was going on, and tried to teach the lesson. Then, while trying to explain the language point to them, they ignored me and spoke in Japanese to each other. Again, I didn't react to this frustrating situation that they were creating, as I figured it was just a test of my patience, and just tried to continue to teach as best I could. After this short teaching session they asked what I could have done better. I said "I should have had you two speaking more, and been doing less explanation because after all it was a conversation school." No idea if this is the norm, but it's what I experienced. I got the job and taught with AEON for two years. It was an overall good experience. So how did it go for you?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> Getting the ESL Job... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: